Wednesday, November 01, 2006

"Having Babies is not for Sissies"

says Becky, my nutritionist from the Carolinas Diabetes Center, presenting a nice and shiny needle for the insulin she is going to provide me with. Yes, damn it, I have gestational diabetes now, a rather annoying side effect of my pregnancy. I am a chocolate addict, but not a sissy, hell no, and so I have learned to control my blood sugar as well as my sugar cravings and even give myself insulin shots at night. And Becky is right, you can do anything for 8 weeks (six weeks now) and anything for the baby. And as I don't want my sweetie pie to cry for more SUGAAAR once she has left her gingerbread house, I have put us on a strict diet and set up a tight workout schedule, which now define our daily routine. It's a low-carb, non-sugar and almost no fruit diet that allows you to have 17 small grapes per day. What a joke. But as I'm not willing to give up on the sweet things in life, I have already provided my parents with a nice list that reads something like "Christmas cookies, Kinderschokolade, Milka, Lindt..." and will make our reunion in December even sweeter...


But hey, I'm definitely enjoying my pregnancy and the ever growing pumpkin, which I have eternalized in a belly cast a couple of days ago. Not that I'm too fond of having this humongous piece of plaster (that unashamedly displays a pair of gigantic breasts I'm not allowed to keep anyway) standing around in our apartment, but this belly cast project I participated in earned us a nice prenatal massage. And who would say no to a free massage??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rosilein, you look so gorgeous!!! I never would've thought a big belly could look so good (maybe because it is no chocolate belly? That might be it ... hmpf, what a disappointment (at least from my perspective...)!).

Can't wait to see the cast - you have to keep it until I come visit (I'm saving, girl, and I'm getting there, eventually!). It's still hard to visualize the real proportions when you can't see it for real.

Have fun snacking on precicely counted out grapes. But it'll be so worth it.

Love
Uli

Anonymous said...

Liebe Madame, nur noch sechs Wochen und weitere zwei, dann gibt es ein Knusperflockemassaker!!! Wie wir uns darauf freuen!! Christian hat gerade die gute Idee geäußert, dass Du Dich in Stein meisseln lassen solltest und das dann später in Eurem Vorgarten in Deutschland steht, genial. Die prüden Amis könnten ja ein Problem damit haben...Sei gedrückt von den zwei zu Hause gebliebenen Cordeskindern.